The 2010s have been an extraordinary decade in media, demonstrating the speed of disruption in the media industry and the need for market participants to constantly innovate to stay relevant and unlock new sources of growth. So, what can we expect to be the top trends to arise in 2020? At first glance, we expect:
1. The SVOD wars to continue to fragment the media industry
2. BVOD will become a centrepiece of the ‘Total TV’ ecosystem
3. Ephemeral social media will see exponentially growing revenue
4. Podcast revenues to grow due to improved infrastructure enabling effective monetisation and a simplified listening experience for greater adoption
5. Pushback against tech giants to create a more level playing field between local and global players
This report explores these trends in greater detail and how they will impact the media landscape.
Trend 1: Who will win the SVOD wars?
SVOD market growth is decelerating
Access to great content will separate winners from losers
Trend 2: BVOD becoming the centrepiece for ‘Total TV’
BVOD consumption will continue to grow
Total TV measurements to revitalise the value of TV
Trend 3: Ephemeral Social Media gaining the attention of more than just goldfish
Short-attention spans are disrupting social media marketing
Time is ticking for Facebook to curb the TikTok threat